Students sent home over food poisoning

Wednesday September 20 2017

Kituro High School in Baringo County where over

Kituro High School in Baringo County where over 200 students were sent home over food poisoning in this picture taken on September 20, 2017. PHOTO | CHEBOITE KIGEN | NATION MEDIA GROUP 

More by this Author

More than 200 students from Kituro High School in Baringo County have been sent home over suspected food poisoning.

The students, who complained of stomach pains and headache, were treated at a Kituro health centre before being sent home.

The Principal Salina Rotich on Wednesday confirmed that the students were sent home on Monday and that some of them had returned after recovering.


"We had more than 10 students on Monday, who were complaining of stomach pains and headache. The number increased the following day but they were treated and released to go home," said Ms Rotich.

She said parents of the sick students were contacted before they were released from the institution.

"The situation has been contained and some of the students who had gone home have since resumed and there is no cause for alarm,” she added.

There were fears of a cholera outbreak but the principal dismissed the claim.

When contacted for comment, Baringo County Director of Education Willy Machocho dispelled fears of a cholera outbreak.

"I want to dispel fears that there is a cholera outbreak in the said institution. Preliminary investigation indicate that it is suspected food poisoning," said Mr Machocho.

He said that the situation had already been contained and a public health officer had been sent to access the situation.


Mr Machocho said they suspect a supplier brought stale bread to the school canteen. The supplier has since been suspended.

According to a medical officer at Kituro health centre, who sought for anonymity, more than 50 students tested positive to food poisoning.

A spot check by the Nation at the health facility Wednesday found more than 12 students who were complaining of stomach pains waiting to be attended to.

Baringo Central Public Health Officer Agnes Chesire said they took samples from students from the school for testing and no cholera was detected.

                                  1. 8575311078 2018-01-22
                                  2. 6504161077 2018-01-22
                                  3. 6475951076 2018-01-22
                                  4. 1312951075 2018-01-22
                                  5. 2746621074 2018-01-22
                                  6. 151871073 2018-01-22
                                  7. 4637141072 2018-01-22
                                  8. 5414891071 2018-01-21
                                  9. 392961070 2018-01-21
                                  10. 9593791069 2018-01-21
                                  11. 9326521068 2018-01-21
                                  12. 8204451067 2018-01-21
                                  13. 3174701066 2018-01-21
                                  14. 1649671065 2018-01-21
                                  15. 5257251064 2018-01-21
                                  16. 5865741063 2018-01-21
                                  17. 6353551062 2018-01-21
                                  18. 2642131061 2018-01-20
                                  19. 8004871060 2018-01-20
                                  20. 284371059 2018-01-20