The deaths of two people on Monday following an outbreak of cholera in Embu County are heartbreaking, to say the least.
And the fact that the two died while on treatment in hospital, where 26 other patients have been admitted for the same problem, compounds the distress.
This is because in the 21st century, it is a pitiable anachronism that the country should be grappling with a disease that is so easily and cheaply preventable.
Cholera is caused by poor hygiene, especially the use of contaminated water.
The average household should have access to clean and safe water to drink throughout the country, and if for any reason that happens not to be the case, hospitals should be able to respond quickly to a cholera outbreak.
In a nutshell, no one should die, let alone contract cholera in this day and age.
Thankfully, doctors have pledged to visit the villages where the patients have come from to establish their water sources and general hygiene levels.
This initiative is welcome and should be expanded to other regions prone to similar outbreaks.
County governments should supplement the doctors’ effort by starting public education campaigns on why it is important to boil water before drinking it and giving general hygiene tips.?
They should also ban the hawking of food in the streets.